Monday, August 3, 2009

Hurray up and....Wait!

“Are we there yet?” Hunter and Parker chimed as we headed to our destination--Rock City and Ruby Falls. That question was always followed with “How much longer?” and a “I’m hungry!” Sometimes there was a “He’s bugging me.” Of course, my responses were the same. They began with “No, we’re not there,” followed by a “Not much longer, just read a book or look out the window.” Then, I added a “You just ate!” with a strong question of “Do I need to pull this car over?”
We were on our way to see some of the sights in Chattanooga. My sons had never visited Rock City and Ruby Falls and with their nature-loving spirits, I knew they would enjoy the parks. I had visited these places as a child and I knew that both Hunter and Parker would be in awe of the mighty Ruby Falls. I knew that Rock City’s swing bridge would bring out Hunter’s sense of adventure and Fairyland would spark Parker’s imagination. I knew what was waiting for them as we made the trek up Lookout Mountain. They had no idea what great fun and spectacular sights they would encounter.
However, our trek to these places was being delayed by slow traffic and a misguided driver (that would be me). To read the directions, one would think it would be easy to get there. However, I was both driver and navigator and it seemed like signs were being switched as I drove. Once I found the right path, every slow driver this side of the Mississippi decided to be in my lane of traffic. We knew we were going to get there, but the delays simply meant we had to wait.
Ugh! I hate to wait. Waiting in line at Wal-mart is the worst. Waiting for the movie to start, waiting for school to get out or the workday to end, waiting for the microwave to beep, the laundry to dry, the traffic light to change…it all adds up to being put on hold. In this hurry-up-and-let’s-get-going world, waiting is a nuisance. Who can relax into waiting? Who can simply sit back and actually rest in waiting? Maybe waiting is a time to reflect, recharge, or live in the exact moment instead of constantly looking to the future. Telling me to wait is like telling Tigger not to bounce or a hummingbird to sit, not to fly or even to hover. Waiting goes against every ounce of my being as I am usually in constant motion.
However, it was on this trip that I realized that while we were waiting to go to the parks, some of the most memorable times occurred. We made up goofy lyrics to popular songs. Hunter and Parker asked me about my childhood vacations to Tennessee. They talked about their favorite things and what they wanted to do when they were older. It was in the waiting that time had stopped and we listened and laughed.
Isaiah 40:31 says, “ They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." I want to whine and complain when all along God knows the perfect place, person, situation, and timing. He also knows what is lies ahead. My sons could not imagine what Ruby Falls or Rock City would look like. I cannot even fathom what God has in store for us as we follow His lead. Hunter and Parker had to trust me, the driver and the one who had been there before. I have to trust in the One who has been there before, too. “He goes before them and the sheep follow Him for they know His voice” (John 10: 27).
All in all, we made it to both parks, enjoyed every minute of it, and plan to return. Hunter loved telling everyone that he saw seven states from Lookout Mountain. Parker talked about how big and beautiful Ruby Falls was. We enjoyed our time in Chattanooga and are looking forward to next year’s vacation. Until that time, we will have to…wait.

3 comments:

Jesse Childe said...

sounds liek ya'll had a good time!

I love Tennessee. There hasn't been a single town there that I haven't loved. I even love the pits (I've found a lot of records in places that reminded me of the Twilight Zone)

Yeah, I hate waiting too. Mostly I start to get paranoid, but that's just me.

Real Life, Real Love. said...

I am glad yall had fun. I remember going there as a child. It was so overwhelming and cool, all the same. I miss your class!!! Well i hope everything is good!!

Dr. Courtney said...

I wish you would write more! I love your blog!