Sunday, August 1, 2010

You Rock!

“Hey, Momma, whatcha doing?” Parker said sweetly.
Any other time I would have said “nothing much” or “cutting coupons” or “grading papers.” At this moment, I was speechless. At this moment, I was on stage in front of an audience of about 300 people at my church. Parker, in all his confidence, decided that he wanted to be a part of the drama ministry and joined me on stage. One minute I was acting in a drama with a fellow actor when I turned and saw Parker standing beside me.
“Hey, Momma, I wanted to help.” Parker said emphatically.
“Thank you, Parker,” I said. I scrambled to make this work in the skit. “But this deals with grown up stuff. You need to go sit back down.”
No luck. Parker decided it was time to hug me. Between stifling snickers and maintaining my focus, I was truly stumped. How was I going to get my child off the stage and continue the skit?
Hunter, with his clever timing, jumped on stage and ad libbed the line, “C’mon, Parker, let’s go play in our rooms.” However, Parker wasn’t buying it. I looked at my acting partner. He grinned and shrugged, giving me a wink that meant “the show must go on.” I could hear the audience laughing. So the skit continued with two young boys standing on stage, participating in the drama.
Confidence. Where does it come from? Why does it seem to dissolve in the presence of perfect people, hostile confrontations, and day-to-day decision-making?
As a single parent, I know too well of losing my confidence in so many things. I often stand on shaking ground when making decisions about managing my finances, setting career goals, and planning for the future. I get nervous about decisions I make that impact my kids--their education, their personal lives, and their emotional well-being. I have even been known to lose a great amount of my confidence in simply believing in myself.
Fortunately, I have found that a few thing have strengthened my confidence. First, I pray about it. I search scripture to make sure it aligns with God’s teachings. If there is any sign of “no,” then I don’t do it. I also believe what God says about me. Proverbs 31:25 states “she is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.” Another version reads “strength and dignity are her clothing and her position is strong and secure; she rejoices over the future [the latter day or time to come, knowing that she and her family are in readiness for it]!” That sounds pretty confident to me. If that is what I am--strong and dignified--then I will take that description and wear it proudly.
Next, I talk to close friends who won’t give the answer I’m looking for. I seek out those who will counsel in wisdom and kindness. It is not easy. I often want to go to that friend whom I know will encourage me to do what I want to do, but it may not be wise nor will it be the right time. Proverbs 27:17 says “You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another.” My friends encourage, challenge, warn, support, and love me through it all. I try to do the same for them.
Finally, I let myself make mistakes. If I fail, then I have learned something. I ponder the repercussions, look at the benefits and risks, and then step out on faith. I know that if I avoid taking risks because of fear then I am limiting myself. I love 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of crave and cringing and fawning fear), but (He has given us a spirit) of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.”
Parker and Hunter remained on stage throughout the skit and even threw a few lines in just to emphasize the points of the message. An explosion of applause erupted at the end of the skit and the pastor added, “You rock, Parker.”
When I look back on what I have done and the choices that I have made, I hope that I can have that same bold confidence that Parker showed when he was on stage. He was definitely clothed in strength and dignity. He paid no attention to the crowd. He wasn’t worried that everyone was looking at him. In fact, he just wanted to join in on the fun. I hope that I will always move with boldness and confidence. One day I hope to hear my Heavenly Father say, “My good and faithful servant Jody....You Rock!”

No comments: