Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Five Year Plan

“Look, Momma, the number five,” Parker exclaimed as he saw the number on a billboard.
“Yes, Parker,” I said. “I see it.”
“I’m five. That’s my number,” Parker said with such pride. “I used to be a baby, but now I’m not. I’m five.”
Five years old. How can that be? Most companies want to design a five year plan. Some people set goals to accomplish in five years. Yet, somehow in five years, a tiny baby became a child with a fascination with Star Wars, the need to follow specific rules, and the ability to beat anyone at a game of Uno . At that moment, I thanked God that he is five because five years ago I wasn’t sure if he would live to be any age, much less five.
At a mere three weeks of age, Parker was rushed to the hospital because of a high fever. The doctors diagnosed him with meningitis, an inflammation around the brain. He was admitted to the hospital and it became a waiting game of exactly what type of meningitis he had--viral or bacterial. Brain scans were done, prayers were said, and many tears were shed. Such fear of losing my sweet Parker gripped me and I could not imagine a life without him. He lay in a bed fighting the illness and all I could do was pray and cry.
After 48 hours, the reports found that the meningitis was viral and would run its course. Parker would be okay. Our prayers were answered and this little life would remain in this world.
Five years can seem like such a long time. In the past five years, I’ve hit rock bottom and found the only thing that could pull me back up--the love of Jesus. I have seen some incredible moments of great joy that brought tears to my eyes. In those times, I also felt the amazing love of Jesus. In five years, the gains and losses in my life have shaped and influenced my choices. They have caused me to walk more cautiously, be a bit more skeptical, but they have also pushed me to strive for something greater, something better, and something that lasts beyond this world. In these past five years, I have gone through a divorce, had close friends move away, and have had loved ones pass away. However, I have also made new friends, developed new hobbies, and have had the incredible joy of raising my two remarkable sons.
As we got out of the car, I noticed the swagger Parker had as he walked toward the church. He was dressed in his khakis and a blue striped collar shirt. His brother walked beside him and told him to not be nervous.
As we entered the building, Parker ran to his friends and waved bye. Hunter pulled out the video camera as we found our seats near the front. The swell of “Pomp and Circumstance” filled the room as Parker’s preschool class walked on stage.
“This song makes me want to cry,” Hunter said.
I simply nodded because the words wouldn’t form behind the knot I had in my throat. In five years from now, I will have a nine year old and a thirteen year old. I don’t know what will happen during those years. However, I do know that the One that has been faithful for the past five years will be faithful for the next five years and many more to come.
God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. I Corinthians 1:9

1 comment:

Jesse Childe said...

awww...man kinda reminded me of my sister being sick all the time when we were little.