Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Race

“Run your own race, Hunter,” I said, as we lined up with the other runners. “Just run your own race.”
I had no idea how often these words would continue to echo through my mind months after Hunter and I participated in a 5K race. Somehow, whenever I begin comparing my life to someone else’s, or I start thinking that I was supposed to be more like Mother Teresa and less like Cruella DeVille, then I hear those familiar words...”run your own race.” Immediately, I go back to that memorable day when Hunter and I ran the Wildcat Run at Kentuck Park.
Hunter nervously paced as we got our racing numbers and began warming up for the race.
“Just take your time,” I told him. “Don’t start out too fast or too slow.”
He nodded.
“I’ll be near you, but don’t wait for me,” I added. “Sometimes I’ll be ahead of you. Don’t worry. Just keep me in sight.”
He nodded again. At that point, I could tell my words were simply landing in random places around him, but not actually penetrating his ears or his mind. I stopped talking.
Suddenly, runners began forming at the starting line. Hunter saw a few boys close to his age so he moved up beside them. The gun fired and we were off.
Hunter took off and I followed close behind. The slight incline caused several runners to slow their paces to an easy rhythm. Not Hunter. He kept pushing. I ran up beside him. We took the corner and saw my mother and my younger son Parker.
“Go Momma!” Parker shouted. “Go Hunter!” I glanced at Hunter and saw a quick grin flash across his face.
As the race went on, Hunter decided to walk for awhile.
“I’ve got a catch in my side,” Hunter said.
I nodded and continued running. “Just keep me in sight, okay?”
I would glance back and see our distance was getting a bit too far. I could see him, but I also noticed that he wasn’t pushing himself like he had at first. He started doing what he always does when he is in God’s creation--getting lost in the wonderment of it all.
I looked at my time. I could finish one of my fastest races, but that’s when I realized. This race wasn’t my race. It was Hunter’s. Somehow finishing the race wasn’t so important. I ran back to Hunter.
“C’mon, let’s start running.” I said. “I’m not finishing this thing without you.”
“I’m really tired,” Hunter moaned.
“I know. But in only ten minutes you’ll be finished. You can do this.”
We started slowly running when we spotted my mom and Parker cheering for us again. It was just what Hunter needed to pick up the pace. Then we saw a few pretty high school girls cheering for us. He beamed when they erupted in a roar when he ran by.
Finally, we spotted our destination.
“Let’s run it in!” I said, pointing to the finish line.
At that moment, I felt like I had stepped back in time. I saw my little baby in my arms; I saw my blue-eyed angel playing with Thomas the Tank Engine; I saw my lizard-catching, nature-loving, full-of-laughter gift from God rolled into one running machine. I grabbed his hand and we ran together. Suddenly, he began sprinting to the finish line. I purposely let go of his hand and slowed down so he would have his own finish time.
“Run your own race” seemed to flow through my mind as Hunter cross the finish line. I thought about how I look at what other kids are doing and question if Hunter or Parker should be participating in the same activity. I look at other people and think that I should be doing more of that or less of it, depending on what it is. At that moment, I paused and realized that I have to “run my own race.” I have to do what is best for myself and my sons. I cannot follow the same path as others. Just as God has designed Hunter and Parker for specific, individualized plans for their lives, He has also set forth a course for me that is unique and perfectly designed for me.
I could have finished this race on my own in one of my better racing times, but getting to this finish line was better than any other. I shared it with my son as he “ran his own race.”

“....but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward--to Jesus. I’m off and running and I’m not turning back.” Philippians 3:14

No comments: