Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Adventures in Ant Farms

“Is it here yet?” Hunter asked for what seemed like the millionth time in one hour.
“No, not yet.” I sighed.
Somehow this youngster who forgets to get his lunchbox or to put away his shoes can remember to ask about a special package to arrive through the mail. Finally, the special day came as I found a light brown envelope in the mailbox. Now the task lay ahead of me. What if I fail? What if it doesn’t work? What if they are all dead? Yes, harvester ants had arrived via the mighty postal worker and now the task of putting an ant farm together lay ahead of me.
An ant farm. Insects. Bugs. Things not welcome at a picnic nor at my dinner table. Hunter had received his “Red Ryder” gift thanks to his aunt Tina. That exciting present was an ant farm.
I never imagined my life to be like this. Little Miss Pee Wee cheerleader, drama queen, music video junkie, and insect/rodent/reptile avoider---that was me. “Adventure” for me was trying a new ice cream flavor or sitting somewhere different at my favorite restaurant. It was not sitting on the back of an alligator at an alligator rescue park, rescuing crabs at the beach, or camping out, complete with a fire, some s’mores, and a few hot dogs--even if the camp out was in the backyard. Growing up, I didn’t have brothers so “Wrestle Mania” and “Attack Mom” have become new games for me to learn.
In these past few years, I have done things that I would never imagined. I have met some special people who have been an encouragement. I’ve seen things that made me laugh, cry, and rejoice that God is a merciful, loving God. Most of all, I have found that God is true to His promises. “You can be sure that God will take care of everything you need, his generosity exceeding even yours in the glory that pours from Jesus.” (Philippians 4:20, The Message)
Sometimes I think I have to be the weirdest person ever because of my perspective on life. I fear that I’ve gotten it all wrong and that I’ll miss out on what’s important in life. When that fear hits, I know that I’m not looking at the right Source. I’m looking around to others and I’m not truly listening to Him. When I let fear stop me from taking chances or setting goals, then I know that I’m focusing on my abilities, not on Him. Through these past three years, I know that I didn’t make it on my own. I’ve been carried, lead, and loved by the One who has the whole picture in mind.
Sometimes I forget the wonderful promises God has made. When I am reminded, a peace floods and soothes the fears and doubts. Jeremiah 29:11-13 states, “I’ll take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out--plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen. When you come looking for me, you’ll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me, and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you’re not disappointed.” (The Message) I’m so glad that God is true to His promises as this verse gives me hope that the adventure I’m on is one that is good, that it does have a future, and of course, it holds hope for more adventures grander than I could imagine.
“They’re here,” I told Hunter. He danced and sang. His brother Parker did the same. I put the ants in the refrigerator because the instructions said it would “calm them down.” After about 10 minutes, I took them out and carefully opened the tube they were snoozing in. I poured them into the farm when suddenly a few began to wake up and started crawling out of the tube on their own. Terror gripped me. I screamed, dropping the tube on the table. Ants began crawling everywhere. Hunter ran away, shrieking and crying. Parker followed suit as he is at the stage of “monkey see, monkey do.” Suddenly, I realized that crawling on my table were my son’s passion. These insects were what my son longed to study and watch. At any other time, I would have grabbed the can of Raid and given them a nuclear fallout. Instead, I grabbed a long green stick for them to climb on and to be placed in the farm.
I wasn’t going to let them get away. I saved those ants, one by one, and in a few minutes, after the tears and screaming had subsided, two wide-eyed little boys came creeping back into the kitchen.
“Is it safe?” Hunter asked.
“Yes, you can come see them now.”
Hunter and Parker were mesmerized by the farm. I didn’t orchestrate that adventure, but I’m glad I was a part of it. I don’t know what other adventures are ahead as I journey into the world of boys---crazy, funny, silly, one-of-a-kind boys. But I’m glad I can take God at His word that it will be good

No comments: