Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To Mom and Dad

I walked through the aisles of various Christian bookstores and numerous clothing stores. I searched through too many places that sold hundreds of knickknacks and doodads. I saw many pretty, interesting, completely useless items. I saw so much stuff that my head began to swim.
Every year I face this dilemma and every year it gets more difficult. Finding a gift for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day is impossible. I have no idea what to get either parent to show my love and appreciate for them. If I ask them, I get the same response, “Oh, I don’t need anything.” or “Your dad needs some socks” or “Get your mom a gift certificate.” A gift certificate? Socks? Nothing at all? How could I get them “nothing” when they have been “everything” to me?
My mom has taught me the fine art of bargain shopping. If something costs more than ten dollars, one must ponder exactly why a person is buying it. Don’t get me wrong. She’s not cheap. In fact, she is extremely generous. She is quick to give her own money to help someone else. She can find anything a person needs, even a job. She can make something from absolutely nothing. She is clever, thrifty, and compassionate.
My father has instilled me a passion for laughter. Every day there is something new to learn, but it is always done in laughter. He tends to take things slowly and observes the smallest of details, especially when it involves the outdoors. Plants that may be on their last leg suddenly thrive in the presence of my father. His garden looks like something out of Southern Living. Yet he is humble in showing what he has accomplished.
I remember growing up and spending the night with friends. Their parents were nice, but I was always glad to get home to my own set of parents. Sometimes my parents’ habits would drive me and my sister crazy, but now I find that I am doing so many of the same things that they did. I hear myself say something to my sons and then I stop and really listen. Then I recognize that voice--it is the voice of my mom and my dad.
As a single parent, I know that I am often both the mom and dad in a situation. Therefore, I often reflect on what my parents would do in a situation. It is then that I am most thankful that God gave me the parents that He did.
So for the specific holidays, I have decided to give my parents what they gave me: memories.
For my mom, I give her the memory of a special birthday cake in which she let this just-turned five-year-old design a cake, complete with a big tree with red hots for apples, an old swing, and a field of daffodils. I give her a face in the crowd, smiling, beaming with delight, for every entertaining and sometimes boring recital or performance. I give her those just-long-enough talks in my bedroom, making decisions about my life. She always listened, but mostly she always prayed. I knew whatever I spoke to her about, she would find a secret place to pray for me. I know she still does this today.
For my dad, I give him the memory of singing “I’ll Fly Away” when I was roughly five-years-old (Five was a big year.) He always sang with me, even much later when I was taking voice lessons and singing in the church choir. We’d sing to an out of tune piano and make some kind of music. I give him wild baby rabbits caught for me and my sister to play with, a swimming pool that delighted us girls, and a garden full of peas to shell. I also give him that special place in my heart that causes us both to tear up over certain events. I have resorted to giving him a “thumbs up” to keep us both in line and not falling out into a massive heap of tears.
I love my parents dearly. I love my children completely. However, as much as I love these wonderful people that God has put in my life, I can never touch the incredible amount of love that God has for us. (verse)
God has given us the memories as well as allowing us to make more memories every day. However, things change. People grow up. Life is in constant motion. Yet, God still remains. He lasts. It is such a comfort to know that the One who loves me without condition doesn’t change. He doesn’t grow old or give out or simply become someone else. He is a good, but not tame, God.
So I praise Him even more for the parents He has given me. May I be as good a parent has they have been. I love you, Mom and Dad!

No comments: