Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Single Parent's Christmas Wish

What do you want for Christmas? During this season, I ask this question often to my family and friends. However, when someone asks me, I hesitate. When I look around at my home with toys strewn about, laundry needing to be put away, and various other items cluttering each space, I immediately think about a maid service. Then I realize that once it is clean, it will only become disorganized in a short amount of time. I ponder the question: what do I really want for Christmas?
As a single parent, I sometimes long for time to slow down. I’d like to have a remote control that could freeze special moments. Maybe I could rewind the time and visit a fall day at the Quad with my sons, riding their bikes, chasing squirrels, and drinking Yoo-Hoos. Other times, I’d like a crystal ball to be able to see into the future. Often, I attempt to form a game plan for the next five years, only to rewrite the same plan, then crumple it up and throw it away.
As I look around my den filled with Fisher-Price trucks, cars and airplanes, I see items that are tied to this moment in time. Some of these toys I know from my childhood; others came from last Christmas or a birthday. Still, there are those toys that seemed to appear from nowhere. Perhaps Santa did bring these toys after all. Yet, in a few years, these toys will be replaced with video games, athletic uniforms, and various items that interest my sons. Much later, the den will hold new furniture, as the old will be in a college dorm or apartment as my oldest son moves out. That is, if the furniture can hold up to two active boys and one spry shih tzu.
When I think about what I want for Christmas, I long for what truly satisfies me (and it is not a Snickers bar). Here are a few things I’d like:
The pureness of my two sons’ laughter. I’m not talking about just a giggle, but a down-in-your-gut laugh that turns faces red and sprouts tears from your eyes kind of laugh;
The true Word of God, not spoken from a pastor, but found in my Bible while I’m searching and praying and then there is it, as though God really heard me, because in truth, He really did hear me;
The honorable relationships of those who persist, remain, and hang in there; they may fail or disappoint, but they are my friends and family; they are behind me no matter what, even when I fail or disappoint;
The lovely and lovable, which includes all nature, even those nasty spiders; the beautiful people who make your face hurt when you look at them; and the annoying people who think that they are the sun, having the world revolve around their every whim. Everything God creates is meant to be valued, to be cherished, and to be noticed. Everyone has a purpose beyond simply existing. To ignore someone or to treat someone unfairly insults the creation of God.
The excellence of pursuing our passions. Beyond our family and friends, our passion is what makes us who we are. It is doing what makes us come alive. I love the arts--dancing, acting, and writing. This love I have for the arts is how He designed me. They are there for a purpose beyond this world. By pursuing these interests, I learn about the God who created me to love these things.
So what do you want for Christmas? Yes, that condo in Palm Springs would be nice. A bank account with unlimited funds isn’t bad either. Yet, when we think about our legacy and what each of us leaves behind, perhaps the desire for material gifts changes. Instead, I long for something that lasts for generations.
The greatest gift ever given was one that has and will last forever. It is the gift of God’s son, Jesus. That gift was (and is) true, noble, pure, lovely, and excellent. As a single parent, you will face changes, struggles, or loneliness this Christmas. Instead of charging that credit card to the max, buying another Chia pet, or getting the latest gadget that peels potatoes or finds your keys, think about what you really want to get (and give) this Christmas. Seek those gifts that last for a lifetime. Pursue the One that loves you unconditionally. He knows you completely and longs to give the greatest gift ever--eternal life. Then give gifts of truth, nobleness, purity, loveliness, and excellence to those you meet today. Merry Christmas!

“Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things.” Philippians 4:8.

No comments: